For fans of the cult-favorite TV show “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” the Grilled Charlie is a culinary concoction that captures the essence of the show’s quirky humor.
This infamous sandwich, created by the lovable and eccentric character Charlie Kelly, is an unusual combination of ingredients that somehow manages to work together.
It’s a budget-friendly meal that’s perfect for when you’re low on cash but still want something satisfying to eat.
So, whether you’re a fan of the show or just looking for a unique culinary experience, the Grilled Charlie is worth a try!
The Grilled Charlie Recipe
As mentioned earlier, the Grilled Charlie is a bizarre yet delicious sandwich made from simple ingredients. Here’s how you can create your very own Grilled Charlie at home:
- 2 slices of Wonder Bread
- Creamy peanut butter, enough to coat one side of a slice of bread
- 2 slices of American cheese singles
- Spreadable or whipped butter
- Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup
- Begin by liberally spraying a sauté pan with Pam or a similar cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, place the 2 slices of cheese in the pan, followed by a buttered slice of white bread (buttered side should be facing UP).
- Heat for 2 minutes or slightly longer, taking care not to burn the cheese (this may require some experimentation depending on the heat of your pan).
- Drizzle or squirt Hershey’s chocolate sauce on top of the bread and cheese before placing another slice of white bread, buttered on one side (buttered side facing up), on top.
- Let the sandwich cook for another minute. The cheese will brown, but before it burns, flip the sandwich over to allow the buttered bread on top to brown nicely and become crispy (similar to a traditional grilled cheese sandwich).
- After removing the sandwich from the heat, flip it onto your plate (cheese side down) and immediately spread a thin layer of creamy peanut butter on the top while the sandwich is still hot.
Note: The peanut butter is NOT grilled. It should be thought of as a condiment that is applied after the cooking is complete. Serve immediately.
The Grilled Charlie, a signature creation of Charlie Kelly from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” is the ultimate comfort food for fans of the show.
Although unconventional, this sandwich offers a strangely satisfying combination of flavors that will leave you craving more.
Give the Grilled Charlie a try for a taste of Paddy’s Pub in the comfort of your own home, and don’t forget to pair it with a viewing of your favorite “It’s Always Sunny” episode!